About Moran Camp Xtreme
Young people with physical disabilities such as spinal cord injury, spina bifida, lower extremity amputations, and other spinal disorders are invited to attend Moran Camp Xtreme. Campers will be accepted on the following criteria:
- 8-21 years of age and possess a positive, self-motivated attitude toward new experiences
- ability to propel manual wheelchair during sports and recreational activities
- ability to perform all self-care, including bowel and bladder without assistance
- ability to perform all transfers independently, including chair to/from toilet
- ability to tolerate physical activity for up to 12 hours a day for up to 6 days
- receipt of registration form and payment by deadline, assuming space available
Registrations are reviewed on an individual basis. Campers not meeting each of the above criteria will not be granted admission to Moran Camp Xtreme, but every effort will be made to direct them to a camp that will cater to their needs. A letter will be mailed to you confirming your acceptance with further details regarding camp. In some cases, you may receive a phone call from the camp director to review and clarify your application. Medical staff is available during camp in the event of medical emergencies.
Cabins and Staff
Assignments are based on gender and age. The camper to staff ratio is 3:1. Cabin counselors serve as adult role models who have overcome similar, if not the same type of barriers and challenges that the campers have or may experience in their transition to adulthood. Cabins are air-conditioned and fully wheelchair accessible with bathing and toileting facilities within each cabin. Medical staff is available 24 hours a day during Moran Camp Xtreme.
Archery, Kayaking, Horseback riding, SCUBA diving (SCUBA experience in pool), ROPES/Challenge Course, Handcycling, Basketball, Football, Floor Hockey, Softball and many more. Campers will experience 3-4 different activities per day and 1 - 1 ½ hours in duration.
Mail your application and check to:
attn: Moran Camp Xtreme
4605 Post Oak Place
Houston, Texas 77027